Date: 23rd September 2008 at 10:01pm
Written by:

Leeds made nine changes for their Carling Cup tie against Hartlepool United from the side that beat Carlisle on Saturday.
Only Andy Hughes and Neil Kilkenny stayed in the starting eleven with Gary McAllister taking the chance to give some of the fringe players a run out.

With all the changes Leeds needed time to settle but didn`t get the chance falling behind in the first two minutes.
Hartlepool gained a free kick and Leeds born Andy Monkhouse got onto a flick on to put the visitors in front.

Leeds were almost level soon after when Ben Parker drilled the ball along the face of the goal.

Leeds continued to look for an equaliser and were finally rewarded when Robert Snodgrass robbed Pool defender Sam Collins and fired the ball past the Hartlepool keeper giving him no chance.

The hosts continued to look the better side with Howson being guilty of missing a couple of good chances.

With Leeds firmly in control they suffered a sucker punch when Joel Porter shot from distance and his shot dipped under Ankergren`s bar to give the visitors the lead.

Leeds soon had to make their first change when Snodgrass who had already left the pitch had to be replaced by Leeds leading scorer Jermaine Beckford.

Pool finished the half strongly with Sweeney having an effort tipped over the bar and Ritchie Jones had a shot well saved by Ankergren.

Leeds started the second half on the front foot and Both Beckford and Showunmi had chances to get an equaliser.

Leeds finally equalised just short of the hour mark when a Beckford effort hit the bar and Showunmi was there to put in the rebound.

The Whites were now firmly in control whilst still looking suspect at the back when Hartlepool attacked.

Beckford and Prutton both had chances to put Leeds in front but failed to find the target.

James Brown had a good chance to put the visitors back in the lead after escaping from Ben parker, Andy Hughes managed to get back to clear.

Leeds decided to go all out for the victory in normal time and threw on Luciano Beccio and Fabien Delph late on.

Soon after Delph`s introduction Howson missed another good chance when his shot deflected over the bar.

With extra time looming and the teams already into the second minute of injury time Andy Robinson cut inside and hit a tremendous shot past the Pool keeper.

Beccio still had chance to put the tie beyond doubt when put through but failed to beat the Pool keeper and shot wide.

Hartlepool threw everyone forward for one last chance and Joel Porter put one last ball into the box, Richie Barker on the end of it but thankfully it was straight at Ankergren.

The final whistle blew and Leeds celebrated reaching the last sixteen of the Carling Cup.

The draw will be made for the next round on Saturday lunch time on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday.

Join Vital Leeds United!

With news and views, along with a forum, polls and article comments, everything you need in a fans site is right here!

You can even win prizes, by posting articles comments, posting on the message forum and voting on the polls.

Vital is also 100% interactive. Not only can you have your say on the articles and the forum but you can also suggest an article or a poll so you can air your views.

So why not join Vital today?

It’s easy to register here and enjoy getting involved

Message Board

To visit the message board, click here.

Get involved

This website is your website and we are looking for people to help run the site. Do you go to most of the games and have an opinion? Why not write a match report? Perhaps you are a budding journalist or even just someone who is very opinionated? Well why not join our team? If this interests you please contact Vital leeds .


Your Comment