You’ve got to love the summer transfer window rumour mill, just as Aston Villa speculation in Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips begins to die down with their reported chase for Manchester City’s Douglas Luiz, there are now reports suggesting that Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has got his eye on him.
Given how long Villa have been linked with the 23-year-old this summer, the concern amongst the fanbase at losing such a key player for Marcelo Bielsa was palpable and with Phillips turning into the Invisible Man during our kit launch last week, concerns were certainly tempered when he featured in the second friendly against Guiseley Town as plenty had begun fearing the worst.
With Spurs already taking Jack Clarke off our hands this summer, albeit with him returning for the season, I’m not so sure fans should get that concerned about reports at this stage as in terms of actual concrete information – well it comes from The Mirror which probably says everything.
That hasn’t stopped some from worrying though, but it was also being claimed over the weekend that Phillips had said he was going nowhere at Guiseley and some thought a new deal had now been signed – just not confirmed as I type.
Player would have to want to leave & they’d have to meet his valuation. #lufc
— Tommy (@tommy_lufc) July 12, 2019
Phillips off to spurs then.
— alaw (@weareleeds191) July 12, 2019
— scott larsen (@scottlarsen_pi) July 12, 2019
I think this is more realistic him asking to go then going to villa. Good all round Business, if he go
He’ll be playing for England within 12 months.
— GJR ???????? (@GregJReilly09) July 12, 2019
A loan back is about the best we can hope for.
— Christian Doyle (@Eltonyonandon) July 12, 2019
The price for getting so near yet so far. #lufc
— Andrew Foster (@foz_182) July 12, 2019